Dec 20, 2008

The Music Industry's Shocking Stupidity Continues

I never stop being amazed at the idiocy of the music business when it comes to the internet. Here's an idea: The more people hear a bands music, the more they will want to buy it. The industry seems to feel the opposite.
Warner Music Group's videos began disappearing from YouTube this weekend, the casualty of a contract impasse between the music company and the Internet's dominant video site.

Warner Music -- home to such acts as Madonna, rapper T.I., Red Hot Chili Peppers and Linkin Park -- issued a brief statement Saturday, saying it was working to find a resolution with YouTube that would return its artists' content to the site.


"Until then, we simply cannot accept terms that fail to appropriately and fairly compensate recording artists, songwriters, labels and publishers for the value they provide," Warner said in the statement.
I can't tell you how many times I've listened ot 30 seconds of a band's song on iTunes and then gone to YouTube to check out more. On YouTube, I can usually hear more of a song and more songs from the band. Often, I will then buy more music from that band. That's what led me to buy 3 Black Keys albums.

So, that won't be happening anymore. Under these rules, I wouldn't have bought albums from The Black Keys, The Republic Tiger, Margot and the Nuclear So and So's, The Cold War Kids, The Wombats and on and on.

Warner Music - doing what they can to prevent their musicians from making money.

No comments: